Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Masterpiece of God

The years go past like trees outside my car window and I'm astounded once again by how much I can't do, or how little I can -- depending upon your viewpoint, I guess.

I've watched what we call a "handy" man operate with my dear wife Mary around the house the past couple days. He's fixing all what's broke, little things here and there and eventually the floor of our house and he's even going to put up a fence at our new "home," which will be the parsonage of the church I'm pastoring.

He's fluid in fix-it talk and he's quick and he's, he's, the same age as me with HAIR and I realize how little I can do of all the things he's doing.

Understand this today: Ephesians 2:10 in the NLT says "10 For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."

Isn't that wonderful news? He created us, His masterpieces, so we could do the things he planned for us before time began. Before we were a glint in the eye of our own GRANDPARENTS, He planned for us. He knows us. Our name is written in the palms of his hands.

Therefore, since God has plans for me, the fact that I can't do things like home repair is of no consequence. The fact that I can easily turn the power off to an entire neighborhood is of no meaning. The fact that I can easily come near to blowing up the lawn mower while trying to burn up leaves is of no substance.

What is of substance, of meaning and of consequence is I can do these things. I can ponder deep theological matters and come up with some simply way of expressing them. I can, well, be me.

That's all I got, as it were. But me is enough to please my Master, well, most of the time. Those times when I don't, when I cause him to shake his head, well, he already knew I was gonna do them anyway. I'm me...a Masterpiece. So ARE YOU.

No comments: