Friday, December 10, 2010

"I'm bursting with God news"

And Mary said:
I'm bursting with God news,
I'm dancing the song of my Savior God.
God took one good look at me, and look what happened...
I'm the most fortunate woman on earth.
Luke 1: 45-49.

Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day walk on water?

Mary did you know that your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered, will soon deliver you.
Mary did you know, Mark Lowry

The basis of what we call faith is that we accept it without knowing, without seeing what will come. Personally, I have no problem with that portion of it all. My deeper problem is looking back at my alternative choices.

Mary (mine, not his) and I were driving into history yesterday evening, visiting a mall we hadn't been to since we moved from our home in Lacombe to our parsonage in Covington. Just walking through a shop or a store or two moved my mind backwards.

We talked about a condo we tried to buy, right up the road from the mall. If we had been successful in the purchase, we might be living a completely different life now. We might be doing this or that or the other, we said.

Instead, God moved us to Lacombe, where there happened to be a United Methodist church that I happened to be appointed to that led the leader of the district to appoint me to another. Five years later, we're still at those two churches and are living in the parsonage of one.

If we had completed the purchase of the condo (on the golf course by the way), who know? Well, God know, which is the point.

Mary said, "His mercy flows in wave after wave on those who are in awe before him. He bared his arm and showed his strength, scattered the bluffing braggarts."

She danced. She sang. She smiled as wide as the Jordan. Why? Because God chose her. What we need today is a few more Marys who will say, "Whatever you want, Lord," and mean it. What a difference we could make, still.

Let today be the day you back up your faith with your willingness.

No comments: