Monday, January 20, 2014

Would He use social media?

This morning over a Vitameatavegamin (or whatever they call that thing) shake of various fruits I would never eat if not thrown in the pulsating gift of ours, along with raw spinach to make a nice purpleish colored drink and oh so full of vitamins and such, I had me a thought.

What if Jesus were walking the planet's narrow roads today? What if he used Facebook to plead his side of the argument, used Twitter to preach to the thousands?

Would he use Facebook to needlessly and thoughtlessly make a case for Christianity?
Would he use Facebook to build up sympathetic support?
Would he use Facebook to bring people to his side, the side of the underdog against the mighty Roman government or the mighty Temple guard or even the powerful Pharisees and the ruthless Sandhedrin.

Would he use Facebook to tell his disciples to let the little children come to him?

Fact is, I doubt it.

See, there's still something about looking someone in the face and discussing things that will never be overriden by passion of the moment.

There's still something about being mature, about being level-headed, about not rushing to judgment, about being filled with both forgiveness and love that makes Facebook the worst possible method of making a point, Christ or not.

One can't see the tone of black and white lettering (or for those creative types, colored lettering). One can't hear the inflection of the wording. One can't, no matter how clear and concise the writer is. Oh, it is possible that a person is using social media for one's own ends. Using Facebook as a weapon is simply a new way of throwing insults at the next person. But then the phone has always been a good way to get 'er done, too, throwing out explatives and insults at others like so many seeds in an open field.

Forgetting Facebook for the moment, that's one of the problems I have with "scholars" telling US what the Bible says. I began a book yesterday called Zealot. I made it through two chapters of this alternative look at the life of Jesus before putting it down. I might pick it up again, I might not. The author is a religion "scholar," and he's absolutely sure of the errant writing of the Bible. When I read his words that Luke knew his writing about the census was wrong but he went forward with it to make a point, I knew I wouldn't care for this work.

But I ramble. Here's the bottom line. Anyone who uses Facebook, Twitter or any other service to blast someone without fear of retaliation is in dire need of a huge dose of maturity. If that person uses those services to gain something, anything, they're wrong. Though certainly I know they do. I've seen it in person. I've seen it used against me already.

It is, however, up to those of us who are trying to walk that narrow road as best we can to forgive those who aren't trying. That's our task. That's our mission. That's one way to make disciples, forging what has been done to us without retailiation. Love turns hearts to the Lord, I believe.

When one does that, maybe then even the child will come to them. Maybe all of us will even think more of the child or the children than we do our pitiful selves who fall so short of the glory of God.

Maybe.

No comments: