Thursday, December 18, 2014

These boots are made for walking

The other day on satellite radio, the tune, "These boots are made for walking," came on. Now, the fact I remember that song is testimony to how old I am. But I do. Didn't necessarily like it, but the tune sure drills right on into your psyche.

But yesterday I began thinking about how that phrase is a fairly adequate way of looking at what all of us must do in our efforts to follow God's will for us.

In the category of God's will for our lives, let's play the if I knew now what I didn't know then, would I have done it anyway game.

Well, would you.

If the Israelites knew they would wander for 40 years, would they have made the simple, silly decisions they made? Absolutely not, I would think.

If Goliath knew that little feller with the rocks would be the death of him, would he have been as bombastic? I think not.

If Saul knew that God would leave him if...
If David knew that woman bathing would destroy is life....
If ...
If ...
If...

Seems to me that the best parts of walking in the trust of God is the walking, not necessarily the arriving. In fact, I've never particularly felt as if I had arrived. I'm still walking, walking, walking. Boots (and shoes) are made for walking, and that's just what I'll do.

See, God could show us what the end game was if He desired. He doesn't desire. And I haven't the faintest.

Problem is we often, because we can visualize it so much more, look backward. I love plenty of those times I've had. Plenty. But looking backward with a longing to return there is simply damaging. We can't go back. Can't. Ever.

So, back to the game. Months ago, if I had known what I know not about preaching schedules and so much more at my present appointment, I probably would have said no when asked about taking it.

But here's the thing: I think that would have been a mistake. I've learned, even when I've learned it screaming and holding on to the past, so much in the past few months. I've learned about risk and the heavy cost of taking it, I've learned about different ways of worship, I've learned more about what to do and what not to do in certain situations.

And through it all, I believe, He's been there guiding and directing. I believe the learning experience comes when we get out of the pleasant mold we've established and head out into the desert. Those desert experiences, which in some cases have lasted for the past 2 1/2 years for me, are often what shape us into better suited creatures for which our only desire is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.

Would I want the sharpness of the blade that carves and creates the person I continue to become if I absolutely had a choice? Probably not. I'm just that much of a softie. But is it better for me that I do allow Him to shape and make me? Absolutely.

I believe that. Therefore, it's a good thing I don't know what's coming, for sometimes the best to come is the worst looking thing.

See, God knows all the outcomes. We can't even get television without a satellite. Just keep walking, boots. Keep walking.

No comments: