Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Bible clearly says

Today's verse from my devotional is one of my absolute favorites lines in Scripture.

The prophet Jeremiah whipped out the laptop and wrote, "For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope."

I've had a remarkable week. Folks have come to me asking question after meaningful question about their lives and where they might be going.

I've answered, as I'm afraid I must, in stilted cliches and chin-dipping mumbles: I don't know, but I know who does.

Ever heard that one? That's another way of saying, "That's a tough question and I have no real idea of how to answer it."

So, I grab a cliche or two down from the shelf.

How about "Everything happens for a reason?" Really? So you think God causes birth defects or there's a reason behind the recent growth in school shootings that God sanctions or that time you fell and broke your leg and it healed and nothing spiritual happened at all? God was causing all that? He had a plan for your femur?

Fact is, I reckon, things just happen sometimes. Sometimes they're bad. Sometimes they're good. Trying to decide where God is in those things, or why he saved me and let Rich Mullins die, for example, is mind-blowing.

Now, does God have plans for us? Absolutely. I believe that. But let's not get to far ahead of ourselves about what those plans are. Let's not add our thoughts to His. Bad principle.

So, in our efforts to help others, sometimes we say, 

No. 1: "The Bible clearly says..."

Clearly, huh? How about this one Jesus said in Mark 4:  To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside, everything comes in parables in order that they may indeed look, but not perceive, and may indeed listen, but not understand; so that they many not turn again and be forgiven."

And to that scholars say, "Huh?"

And you say, "Huh? Jesus is hoping others don't get it?"

And you slowly back away from the "Bible clearly says," statement. Seriously, don't you?

Or "God needed another angel in heaven."
Or "The Lord never gives someone more than they can handle."
Or "The Bible says it; I believe it; that settles it."
Or "God doesn't make garbage."
Or "When God closes a door, He opens a window."
Or "God helps those who help themselves."
Or "Cleanliness is next to Godliness."
Or "God is causing (whatever) to get my attention."
Or "(So and so) is a good Christian."
Or (*you fill in the one that haunts you at night when you stop to think these things through."

Now, some of you might be saying, "wait. What's wrong with .....?"

Let's examine a couple, just for the heck of it. Don't say God needed another angel in heaven for a couple reasons. First, humans don't become angels. Second, God has no needs. Third, none of us know the eternal destination of anyone. Fourth, simply say, "I'm sorry for your loss," and shut up. Don't try to think of some new way to help someone that is not in the Bible.

Or, "The Bible clearly says." Clearly is the word that stops us in our tracks for what I've learned over time is that clearly to me is not necessarily clearly to you. Second, even the verse above from Jeremiah that I love and have tried to shoehorn into my life at various times was written about the nation Israel not necessarily about me.

Quickly now, No. 3: what about those persons with mental illness; 4. The Bible says a lot of things that we don't believe or at least don't apply any longer, such as Paul's statements about slavery or Leviticus' stoning statements, etc; 5. Whatttttt? 6. Some folks have such terrible circumstances they never get out of till they cross the River Jordan (which is another cliche); 7. Not in the Bible; 8. Not in the Bible; 9. Whattttt? 10. There are, strictly speaking, no bad Christians. By definition, Christians are good. There are, however, suspect Christians (that's my cliche being birthed), which is everyone that we think isn't doing it right.

Here's my point. Most of our arguments between the brothers and sisters are about who is right. And even in our desire to say and do the right thing, sometimes we reach too far for the right thing to say. The best thing to remember is the Word of God is a living thing. It speaks to us, moves us, teaches us, motivates us, and sometimes it is just hard to get because God's ways are not our ways.

Bottom line: In our efforts to help, don't accidentally hurt. Oh, and don't ever tell someone in pain of any kind that you know what they're going through. You don't. Ever.

Or at least that's my opinion.  Which might be as warped as a vinyl record sitting in the sun.






No comments: