Thursday, February 25, 2016

Decent, indeed

Jesus presented us with three commandments, which might surprise some folks. He said, You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself." Then he added from John's Gospel, "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other."

I'm fascinated that he told us first to love our neighbor, then he told the disciples at the end of his life, love each other.

Be inclusive. But be sure you love each other the say way.

How out of whack have we gotten this? We, those of us who say we're Christian, have had thunderous problems being inclusive, and we are having such incredible problems loving each other at the same time. That's the reason, it seems to me, that we no longer get along. We just can't. We have opinions. We have must-reads. We are no longer decent to each other.

It's enough for Jesus to, well, come again and fix all this.

He also told us to be unified. He told us to be one just as He and the Father are one.

How's that going?

Yesterday noted Christian writer Max Lucado lamented the current presidential race in a blog. Among other things he wrote, "We appreciate decency. We applaud decency. We teach decency. We seek to develop decency. Decency matters, right? Then why isn’t decency doing better in the presidential race? The leading candidate to be the next leader of the free world would not pass my decency interview. I’d send him away. I’d tell my daughter to stay home. I wouldn’t entrust her to his care."I don’t know Mr. Trump. But I’ve been chagrined at his antics. He ridiculed a war hero. He made mockery of a reporter’s menstrual cycle. He made fun of a disabled reporter. He referred to the former first lady, Barbara Bush as “mommy,” and belittled Jeb Bush for bringing her on the campaign trail. He routinely calls people “stupid,” “loser,” and “dummy.” These were not off-line, backstage, overheard, not-to-be-repeated comments. They were publicly and intentionally tweeted, recorded, and presented. Such insensitivities wouldn’t even be acceptable even for a middle school student body election. But for the Oval Office? And to do so while brandishing a Bible and boasting of his Christian faith? I’m bewildered, both by his behavior and the public’s support of it."

I can't get past Trump saying the Pope did something disgraceful. I can't get past the vile language he inspires in part because he used it in public. Love the Lord your God with all your heart, your neighbor as yourself, and love each other. I try to let that guide me, inspire me, lead me through the valleys into the plains (not the mountains). I usually vote Republican because of the abortion issue, truthfully. But goodness this coming election appears to be a difficult nut to crack. God bless you all as you decide.
Be inclusive. But be sure you love either other the same way. Hard to crack, indeed.

No comments: