Monday, April 25, 2016

Christ and pizza on the inside

      Oh, I’ve got a secret for you this morning. It is the secret that is better than all secrets.
      Have I ever mentioned that I hate secrets.
      I once went out my bedroom window, taking off the screen, holding on to the edge and dropping down (and before I thought of how the heck I was gonna get back up there) with the keys to my mom’s car. It was Christmas time and I didn’t think there were many presents to young me. So, out the window I went, opening the trunk, finding a football in there and spending time outside throwing the football to, uh, myself.
      I hate secrets.
      Except this one.
      The Bible says: "For God wanted them to know that the riches and glory of Christ are for you Gentiles, too. And this is the secret: Christ lives in you. This gives you assurance of sharing his glory. So we tell others about Christ, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all the wisdom God has given us. We want to present them to God, perfect in their relationship to Christ."
      The Apostle Paul wanted you to know this secret...Christ lives in you. That it is so meaningful to others, more so than faith, mores than grace. Christ lives in you.
      In Romans, he writes, "And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God."
      In Galatians, he writes, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
      In Colossians, he writes, "To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory."
      Get the idea? Jesus is in us, for those who believe. 
      And, uh, what does that mean to us? 
      Does He begin living our lives for us?   Does He begin making our choices for us? Does Jesus like pizza? You know, important questions.
      The Bible makes it clear that we are to be the temple and abode of God. But how do God and Christ live in us? 
        Here's MY secret. It is through the Holy Spirit. Therefore, the degree to which God and Jesus Christ dwell in us depends on the degree to which we follow the leading of God’s Spirit and use of its power to actually become like God the Father and Jesus Christ in nature, character, spirit, attitudes, approach and love.
      What all the scriptures on this subject reveal is that Jesus Christ’s life will be in us only as we seek to make His way of life our way of life — to walk as He walked, to live as He lived. The Bible also calls this putting off the old man and putting on the new man.
      We have a resource, a weapon as such, a weapon against the Devil, against our own evil, against disease and failure. We have a tool that we can go to when things are at their worst.
         It's Him, the Holy Spirit. The plain fact is the more we use the Holy Spirit to become like Christ, the more His life will be in us and, thus, the more He lives in us. But that process is under our will and control, not His. God wants us to choose to live as Jesus lived by our free choice. This involves a humble, earnest seeking to become like Jesus Christ so His life becomes our life.
          I'm reminded of an Irish prayer:
            As I arise today,may the strength of God pilot me,the power of God uphold me,the wisdom of God guide me.
            May the eye of God look before me,the ear of God hear me,the word of God speak for me.
         May the hand of God protect me,the way of God lie before me,the shield of God defend me,the host of God save me.
         May Christ shield me today.
         Christ with me, Christ before me,
 Christ behind me,
 Christ in me, Christ beneath me,
 Christ above me,
 Christ on my right, Christ on my left.
     Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit,
 Christ when I stand,
 Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
 Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
 Christ in every eye that sees me,
 Christ in every ear that hears me.
       Amen

No comments: