Thursday, May 12, 2016

The church matters

      I began this blog an incredible seven years ago. I can't remember when I didn't write at least some during the week. It hasn't all been good, but it's always been honest. It always was what I had to give that particular day.
      I began it because, as Stephen King once told me, writers write.
      Through it all, good and bad, uplifting and sad, this thing has endured.
       Through it all there was the church, lifting me, challenging me, helping me learn, making me think.
      Years ago the only mentor I’ve had in ministry told me that you never get over funerals, that each and every one take something from you. I thought he was a bit over dramatic, till he died.
      A dear man in our church died last night in the emergency room of the local hospital. He met with a member of our church yesterday at about 4 p.m. Then he went to sleep in his recliner and never woke up again.
      Now, the parallel I’m going to make here is a bit of a stretch.
      So, here is the deal. I hope that the 850 plus delegates at general conference remember what we do this, this ministry for. It’s not about our differences. It’s about what we do for those who have gone before us.
      I feel a great tug at my heart whenever I do a funeral. I try to make the sermon light and affirming and on occasion funny when the person was a funny person.
      We might be in the process of burying the UMC, but through it all I believe the church, THE CHURCH, will come out on the other side stronger and more prepared to do ministry.
      It’s not about the building, but it is about those who fought to build the buildings.
      What we do still matters. Still.

No comments: