Thursday, September 16, 2010

Certainly

The Bible says: The army officer saw what had happened and he praised God, saying, "Certainly he was a man of God."

Why do we need to go on spiritual retreats? Why do we need a shot of something in our spiritual lives? Why am I here, doing what I'm doing?

The answer lies, I think, somewhere in that sentence. A Roman sees this man die, the same way one suspects he's seen so many die, and yet there is something different. Something special.

I think for those of us who are believers and have found that there is nothing else we can be, that's what we still crave. We still want to see, feel, experience those moments when our faith is made sight.

I've had a few. You've had a few, if you're a reader, or you want to have a few.

The answer is a simple one. Keep plowing the fields. Keep serving the lost and the least. Keep caring more for others than you do yourself. And someday that moment will indeed come, that moment when you look up into the eyes of a dead man and see eternity.

I pray I have another one this week. But if not. Jesus is still the answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I get this. Billy you knew my Mom, Mary Lou. I held her hand while she died. I saw that last look of when my eyes and her eyes "connected". She was actually, believe it or not, smiling. I did not see sadness or fear. I saw hope, I saw not the end but what a deep breath in feels like.. if that makes sense. Thanks for writing your blog. I enjoy reading it. Betty - Jean