Saturday, September 25, 2010

The field is ready

The question is, how do we do the great commission?

It should not be, what is the great commission or what did Jesus really want us to do. See, he really wanted us to make disciples. That is not in question. But, oh, he could have made it much simplier by simply telling us how to do it. There are no instructions, not that I ever look at instructions anyway. But my wife does and she could have explained it to me.

I think the reason he left it open-ended is he wanted us to be led by the Spirit into inspiration. He knew time would change and we would have to do things differently as time passed.

But the desire, the command remains. Make disciples. Go and tell the Good News to everyone.

We're at a seminar about that this weekend, 12 of us (ironic number, huh?), and I must admit that i long to bring people to Christ more than I long to feed them, or clothe them or serve them. That's just who I am at the DNA level. I want to say the right thing at the right time in the right manner that will change their life.

The irony is, I don't know what that is. I truly don't. I'm praying that it comes to me, and that hundreds of folks begin to come to our church. But that's in God's hands, I feel and I fear.

Bottom line is the effort must be made. The changes must come. The field is ready to be harvested, but there are so few workers.

I'm ready, Lord. Are there helpers out there?

No comments: