Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Catching up

On July 25, 1992, Mary, the kids and I attended our first and I believe last game at what was then Fulton-County Stadium in Atlanta. Some of my favorite phots are of the kids in their Braves garb outside the stadium in front of the Hank Aaron statue.

What I remember is it being exceedingly hot and our seats in right field being very much in the sun light at the start of the game. So much so that I was whining for about three innings about how I could have come to have such awful seats.

The game proceeded and in some ways turned into a snooze-fest, at least for the kids who though stoked on goodies still were watching a 1-0 game. I believe it was Steve Avery pitching.

Then came the late innings. Pittsburgh's Andy Van Slyke lifted a ball, well, right toward us. Then from out of nowhere came Otis Nixon who lept incredibly high and made what is still called "Then Catch." Right below us.

I went nuts. The kids sensing somethng had happened went nuts. Mary, nuts. People around us, nuts.

It was a special time in our lives, a time where as a family we were Braves fans. We went to games each year in Houston after that to see the Braves. We wore the stuff. I still have a tomahawk.

Last night was Bobby Cox's final game as a manager of the Braves. Twenty-seasons he had been with them, through knee replacements and great players and such. Fourteen straight seasons with division championships till our great pitching finally got as old as me, or practically.

Everything changes. Everything goes ahead. Everything grows old.

The only person now left on that team from those great years is Chipper Jones, and he might make it one more year. My kids are not kids, but have them of their own.

But one night in July, we'll always have.

By the way, in looking up the catch (which is how I know when it occured since my memory like good joints has gone away), I discovered that Otis Nixon, who had a cocaine problem at one time, works now in youth ministry.

We've all come a long way. I was happy today to have caught most of it.

No comments: