Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Wonderful old words

I came across a story (photos and such) about child (movie and television)stars and where they are now.

It got me to thinking (something usually has to) about what it means to peak, if you would, at an early age.

What must it be like to have starred in a movie when you haven't reached adulthood? How do you handle life when they're not calling you on the phone for jobs? Is that measurably different from accomplishing your many goals at the age of 25, 30, 40?

What then must retirement be like?

All the answers can be found in what gives you peace. Does your job fulfill you? Does your recreation, that must be paid for by that job, give you peace?

Where does the average, and I guess people who starred in movies in their teens and younger don't necessarily qualify, person find peace?

It simply depends upon what they believe, I'm afraid.

I tend to be moody. I had one of those days Monday. Sports teams gagging always tend to make me moody. My sports teams, I mean. I have various aches and pains that won't go away and will be with me till the end (sounds like a country song). And we're as poor as dirt, very, very dry dirt. I said, almost without thinking about it, "what do I do?" My wife, who listens in on these darn self-conversations, said, "Read more scripture."

Reading isn't the answer, though she is close. I read more than most folks. But believing and allowing the "vine" to remain close to me,or better yet me to the vine, oh baby is that the answer.

Jesus spoke these words, "I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid."

Without saying it, he's saying that the world and all its things we acquire over decades of work and play can not possibly give us peace. The world can't heal my back (unless I come up with thousands of dollars I don't have access to). The world can't heal my moodiness. The world can't give me peace.

Neither can my tired old sports teams, because even if they win it all, dang, they make you do it again. And invariably, you lose because you can't win them all. I think Yogi said that.

The point is this: Jesus said to his disciples (and down through time to a reader right this minute) "Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me."

I'm no good at math, but this much math I know: Peace equals trust plus nothing. The amount of peace you have is equal to the amount of trust in God through Jesus you can muster.

It isn't reading scriptures that is important. But it is believing those wonderful old words.

2 comments:

Sam said...

I totally agree with you. I often think to myself about all the people in the Bible that believed so much in God, incredible things happened, (Moses parting the sea, Joshua praying for the sun to stand still, the apostles spreading the gospel so quickly). I then wonder as His Church today, if we have enough faith to believe He can still do those unbelievable acts that can only be explained as from God. Then I ask myself, can I believe and trust Him that much? Do I have the courage to step out in faith and believe the ocean of this world will part in front of me...for Him?

I know in my life, as I have learned to trust God more, he has never let me down. I will admit, it didn't (doesn't) always end up in peace as I wish to experience it now, but I know it will someday.

BTW...to answer my own question...yes, more and more everyday.

Anonymous said...

Sam my message was on doubt last Sunday...tough subject. Faith in the simplest of terms means to trust...as Christians we put our trust in God. How we respond to doubt can create a change in our faith. By wresling with questions or challenges we can actually grow in our relationship with God...deepening our trust. Not related to this particular post but if we become overwhelmed with doubt we can also have a crisis of faith.

Jarod