Monday, January 31, 2011

Our commitment

It's a foggy, dreary morning after a dreary, foggy evening. It's going to be warm today before the bottom falls out again in a couple days. But I see that my friends in St. Louis are going to be covered in snow of 16-20 inches. As they say, things could be worse.

Things are going well in my church land. I can't complain (oh, I can, but I shouldn't), and I look forward to a week of worship.

I bow before a God who loves me completely. I wallow in the fields of grace that he provides.

It appears to me that I must find ways to worship that I have not previously explored. Isaiah talks about this when he says that God told him, "I am God, your God, who teaches you how to live right and well. I show you what to do where to go. If you had listened all along to what I told you, your life would have flowed full like a river, blessings rolling in like waves from the sea."

It is an interesting thing that the things that are best for us often we do not do, as Paul wrote. But the things that harm us are so very attractive.

Here's the issue for us all this week: Can we be committed to seeking God.

I'm not talking about giving up our jobs, not concentrating on our kids or anything else. I'm talking about putting God first, or at the least putting the commitment to seek Him first.

God said this: "Listen to me, all of you who are serious about right living and committed to seeking God. Ponder the rock from which you were cut, the quarry from which you were dug. ...Pay attention, my people. Listen to me, nations (Gentiles, or as we say in Covington, US). Revelation flows from me. My decisions light up the world. My deliverance arrives on the run, my salvation right on time."

This week, let this missive point you toward scripture. If there are readers out there, let them read this and long for the Word of God.

GOD'S CALLING, my newest book, is available at all major internet sites now: Barnesandnoble.com; amazon.com; booksamillion.com.

No comments: