Saturday, January 1, 2011

Resolutions, like Rome, that might fall

I'm aware I might be writing this for myself, but with a fresh, soaked new year upon me, it might be the perfect time to make those dreaded resolutions.

I resolved to find the light this year. Not to set goals in ministry I have no control over (size of church, whereabouts of church, etc.) but to find where God is leading and do my best to be the best person I can be and to follow the light.

Isaiah tells us: "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light.For those who lived in a land of deep shadows— light! sunbursts of light!"

I resolve to seek justice, love mercy and walk humbly with my God in 2011.

Isaiah tells us: "For a child has been born — for us! The gift of a son—for us! He'll take over the running of the world. His names will be: Amazing Counselor, Strong God, Eternal Father, Prince of Wholeness."

I resolve to think more of others than I do myself, to be aware of my anger, to be careful of my emotions and to love when there is opportunity and when there is not.

Isaiah tells us: "His ruling authority will grow, and there'll be no limits to the wholeness he brings. He'll rule from the historic David throne over that promised kingdom. He'll put that kingdom on a firm footing and keep it going with fair dealing and right living, beginning now and lasting always. The zeal of God-of-the-Angel-Armies will do all this."

I resolve to spend time in the scriptures, not looking for a better way to live, but living a better way to die. I resolve to be better with my stewardship (money and bills and such) and to help with those persons in prison who knew not a better way.

I resolve to be better to my wife, Mary, my son Jason, my daughters Shanna and Carrie, my grandchildren Mia, Gabe, Karli, Parker, Gavin, Livvy and Emma. I resolve to remember by resolutions.

God made it clear to Judah that the time was coming when the nation would be made whole again. It was. The temple was restored. The nation was the nation again. Then it fell apart one more time before coming together a couple of thousand years from then.

We are falling apart, too. A shining city on a hill is being covered in clouds and soon darkness will fill the land again. We are losing in education, in money and only in the arms race are we doing well. We're even becoming a non-Christian nation, according to our leader. What a legacy, the same that was Rome.

In the past week, I've heard someone announce themselves to be Christian and say someone should have been executed for killing dogs. No one on this planet loves dogs more than I do, but to kill someone for doing that and to basically say there can be no forgiveness for any sin is to announce oneself more than Christ. Grace is so wonderfully, unexpectedly given that one forgets that one has been given it. I forgive, because I've been forgiven.

And that's my greatest resolution. To forgive in 2011, as I've been forgiven. That's grace. That's mercy. That's a wonderful year.


When will we learn?

No comments: