Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The invisible among us

I'm just saying...

Do you hear me? What's that whisper? Do you see me? I'm here, here, here. Right here.

Ever felt alone in a crowd? There are times when I feel as if I've turned invisible. When did this occur? When did it happen? Did I turn myself off or did circumstances or situations or problems or, er, others?

I'm not sure. But I feel it all the same. Most of it, I wager, is my own fault. Personality and such. Inability to stand out. Lack of juice on occasion.

But still, I'm invisible.

There are times it helps. In school, no one called on me. They didn't see me. Because I was invisible. I'm just saying.

There are times it hurts. I want to answer the question but as my hand sways to the rhythm of a person of knowledge and capability, I'm taken aback by being, invisible. I'm just saying...

There's a Casting Crowns song about this, or at least close to this phenomenon. It talks about the visitor in church who is hurting and no one sees her.

I know that person, I think, because invisible people are sometimes able to see invisible people. They feel each other's pain. They understand each other's thoughts. They SEE each other.

It helps me to remember, it really does, that the most invisible of people, my Lord Jesus, sees those who are invisible. There is no invisibility in Jesus. He sees those who are small and those who are without and those who are in need. Those who are invisible in a crowd.

In a crowd of folks, he found the ones who needed to hear what they needed to hear and said what they needed to were longing to have said. He touched the hearts of the invisible. He led the invisible.

In fact, he leads and touches and frames the right questions to the invisible and to those who lead the pack with horns ablaring and are so visible you want to put on sun glasses.

Think it through today. Stretch yourself. Look closely for those who might not be quite as visible as the next person. They might have as much to say, and they might need to say it, just as much as those radiating folks in front of you.

No comments: