Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Saying goodbye to a Saint

Nobody lost their life, but darn if I'm not sad. The New Orleans Saints cut offensive tackle Jon Stinchcomb, and it's not just that he was one of my favorite players. He was one of the best of the Saints, in every way.

I talked to him a couple of years back for my book, God's Calling. He was gracious enough to permit me some time, and I still have his cell number. I got his cell number after Jon had spoken at a breakfast at a convention I was attending. See, Jon was a Christian, a United Methodist at that. He was a good man, a big, hulking guy who would hit you hard but the kind of guy who would make sure you were alright later. He loved the Lord, and he saw no difference in his vocation and others in terms of violence versus the love of God.

He was sincere. A hard worker who didn't quit and played through injury, Jon was also the union rep for the Saints during that long lockout you might have heard a word or two about this spring and summer.

He told me then, "I think (my call of God) came when lots of prayer and having a lot of good Christians around me, and feeling the Holy Spirit inside me."

Stinchcomb came back from a knee injury in 2005, went through the ravages of Hurricane Katrina with the team that year, came back to start every game for five seasons including a magnificent Super Bowl victory after the 2009 season.

But apparently, apparently, an injury has taken its toll. He was released.

It led me to think about the assuredness of God's promises. See, Jon can be the perfect person for going through what was an absolute shock to everyone including several teammates. He is picked up and set on his way by a loving, holy God who doesn't just set the world into motion and step back. He can actually step in and hold us up, as I wrote about yesterday.

Jon and his family have earned their money, including $2.5 million that was guaranteed for this coming season. It's not about the money. It's about at 32, what do I do.

Ironically, the two Saints I talked to for my book that was printed earlier this year, Jon and Heath Evans, are both gone. Both Christians. Both outspoken lovers of Jesus. I would question the fact that they were released except another rather outspoken lover of the savior of the world on that team is Drew Brees.

I suspect they won't be cutting him.

God Speed, Jon Stinchcomb

No comments: