Friday, November 23, 2012

Post thankful sag

The new song by Matt Redman keeps playing in my head, after a 3 hour trip to New Orleans on Wednesday and a 3 hour trip back yesterday.

"Praise the Lord, oh my soul, oh my soul, worship His Holy Name," Redman sings.

The 104th Psalm puts it this way: Praise the Lord, my soul.
"Lord my God, you are very great;
you are clothed with splendor and majesty.

2 The Lord wraps himself in light as with a garment;
he stretches out the heavens like a tent
3 and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters.
He makes the clouds his chariot
and rides on the wings of the wind.
4 He makes winds his messengers,[a]
flames of fire his servants."
 
I must admit that my soul sags a bit when we leave our children and grandchildren. I want so desperately to be closer to them, so close that we could pop in and see them on a whim instead of a plan.
 
But I guess that God has other ideas, for we're not that close and probably aren't going to be at least in the near future.
 
There are times I feel totally alone in our home in Eunice, La. We're 150 miles from everyone who I could call friend from just five months ago. We're building friendships in our new pastorate, but truth is, that takes time. Much time. There are great people in our churches, but ... they have lives and Mary and I have lives and so far the twain hasn't met much.
 
I trust in God that all the "great things that he's done for us, with us, to us in the past 17 years will be continued. The momentum we had at our churches, the best three months of ministry I've ever had or even seen, has slowed. Bible studies are slowing. Things aren't going as well as they had been.
 
But ...
 
"4 He makes winds his messengers,[a]
flames of fire his servants."
 
So, we go on in trust, knowing he is a faithful God. Knowing his grace will suffice.
 
And we'll see the kids again in three weeks.

No comments: