Tuesday, February 5, 2013

He is so sure; I am so uncertain

After my blatant begging for readers yesterday, I continue on towards 25,000 hits. I'm teaching a Bible Study on Matthew's Gospel on Sunday evenings in Eunice, and we've spent a couple of early weeks talking about John the Baptist, which leads me to think about one of the most human and sincere moments in all of scripture.

In Matthew's 11th chapter, we read this: 2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?' 4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”

I think that plaintive call for information from John, who I think grew up with Jesus at least to some extent and then baptized him, asking, "Are you the one?"

My thinking is that John was all in, right up to the time he went to prison. Then the doubts, which come to all of us like ships in the night, crept in.

Another way of saying it would have been, "Are you sure this is what was supposed to happen?"

Many times I've voiced that, or thought that, as my journey has continued. Jesus, are you sure? Father, are you certain?

It's not even that I doubt them, or their faithfulness, or their trustworthiness. Nah. They are God. But I question ME. Did I get it wrong? Did I make a turn that wasn't required? Did I go where I wasn't told to go?

This whole faith thing, where we walk without sight, is one heck of a way to do business. I'm, uh, pretty sure this is God's will, we think. Only in retrospect do we see the works of the Lord. But by then, I'm fairly certain I could have done major damage.

That's why prayer is so important, to take us out of the equation. That's why Bible Study is so vital, to take us out of the equation. That's why surrender is so important, to remove us -- all that is us -- from the discussion so His will can be done.

Are you sure?

Of course He is.

No comments: