Wednesday, February 6, 2013

When I fail

Sometimes I amaze myself. I mean to do the right thing, even carefully think it through, then respond in a way that makes it seem to have come from anger and the next thing you know, I can't sleep.

I believe this can be looked at in a couple of ways, both with help from Peter:

1) "We are called to be holy. Peter tells us, therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed."
2) He says, "Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of any kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation."
3) Peter says, "Live such good lives among the pagans (and Christians), tough they may accuse you God doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."
4) Finally, Peter tells us, "Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."

There are times I forget all that and simply go by what my gut tells me to do. Invariably I am wrong when I do that. Sometimes, though my intentions are the best normally, I hurt someone when I try to be the ruler of all.

I'm not.
He is.

I'm wrong.
He's right.

I'm trying to be holy.
He is.

Simple enough, but the most complex thing in my life, I reckon.

No comments: