Thursday, June 6, 2013

Jesus left

So,
I've turned in columns for Sunday and for June 16 to the local newspaper.
I've done most, but not all, of the bulletins for Sunday and for June 16.
I've written one draft of this Sunday's sermon and it needs a polish.
I've paid bills, started the packing process, starting the winding down process.

It's time to go on vacation.

Truthfully, I don't remember what that really feels like. But I must tell you all that I'm going to not write for a week. There. Said it. I'm going to do it. Really. I know it won't upset any of you, and heck, I might lose some of you. But I am going to vegitate. There. Said it. I'm going to do it. One more day of writing, then off to Never Never Land, which by the way I always wanted to fly to when I was a child.

This sat me thinking about Jesus (as most things do). He, near as I can tell, never went on a vacation. Like, packed up and walked over to India or whatever. Near as I can tell from reading the Gospels.

But he often went away. For a night. Maybe a day.

He left and spent some down time, away.

He fed 4,000 and ... "Jesus left there and went along the Sea of Galilee. Then he went up on a mountainside and sat down."

He finished teaching/preaching one day and "When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to the other side of the Jordan."

Then, "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."

The list could go on an on. Jesus was always leaving someplace and going.

For a week I'll be in sunny (maybe) Florida. For a week I'll be away. I won't be preparing for the next sermon or the next sermon series or writing the next epic. I'll be away.

Hopefully to be recharged, reinvigorated, re-something or other.

No comments: