Tuesday, June 4, 2013

This is our God


What covenant have you made recently with The Lord? And I don't mean if LSU will just win this game, I'll ...

I'm talking about a serious commitment to a serious God.

Moses pleaded in 34:8-9, "If now I have found favor in your sight, O Lord, I pray, let The Lord go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for your inheritance."

God answers Moses in the next verse: Exodus 34:10 -- He said: I hereby make a covenant. Before all your people I will perform marvels, such as have not been performed in all the earth or in any nation; and all the people among whom you live shall see the work of The Lord; for it is an awesome thing that I will do with you."

Don't you long for God himself to stand among his people and exclaim, "It is an awesome thing that I will do with you."

Not pretty good.
Not fair.
Not okay.
Not even really, really good.

Red-sea parting good. Back from the dead kind of good. Healing brokenness kind of good. Awesome good.

Hear it again: It is "an awesome thing" that he's gonna do with us. 

I think of Rich Mullins' Awesome God when I read this passage. "He ain't just putting on the Ritz. There's thunder in his footsteps and lightening in his fists."

That's our God.

Chris Tomlin reminds us: A refuge for the poor, a shelter from the storm, a father to the orphan, a healer to the broken, a fountain for the thirsty, a lover for the lonely. That's our God.

And as we heard Monday night, the Holy Spirit can sometimes lead us into the wilderness to make us humble, to deal with our own sense of infallibility. 

That's our God, too.

That's who promises the awesome things that he's gonna do.

Part of what we've learned today is that we all need to accept the manna, the awesome things we're to be given by God, though we sometimes have such a difficulty doing so.

He's in the giving business. We should be about the accepting business. 

And soon

No comments: