Thursday, August 15, 2013

Praise in the yets and the therefores

We've spent the first three days of this week praising God. I pray that you've done so, although none of you actually responded to me with praises as I requested.

Today I want to talk about another aspect of praise. Today, I want to turn the conversation to a couple of words that are vital in our praise of God. We've certainly talked at length about praising Him when things are going badly, about how circumstances can't or shouldn't marginalize our praises or dictate how or when we praise.

But what about these two words....?

What about the therefores and the yets and the sos and the becauses in our lives?

The writer of the letter to the Hebrews tries to describe what we have inherited through faith. He concludes, "The words “once more” indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain. Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.”

Therefore -- another way of saying because. God has given all of this to us, so we should respond in praise and gratitude and a degree of thankfulness.

We praise because.
We praise so.
We praise therefore.
 
We praise Him in the morning, and in the sweet pink-sky filled evening.
 
We praise Him.

Then there are the yets.

Job said, "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him; I will surely defend my ways to his face."

And my favorite, from the prophet Habakkuk,"Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to tread on the heights."
 
Let's put this simply. God has given and given and given to me, and continually I fail Him. Yet He gives and gives and gives more.
 

No comments: