Monday, May 26, 2014

The Wow factor

It's a Monday, which means I'm examining more of Psalm 139.

Verses 7 through 12 read like this:

"Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there you hand will guid me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, 'surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,' even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like th day, for darkness is as light to you."

Wow. There might not be more resounding more beautiful more meaningful language in all of scripture.

Jesus said something like that in John's Gospel: "Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you."

In other words, we can't go where God isn't. Period. We can't hide from him; we can't duck him; we can't shed him; we can't lose him.

He is with us, primarily because for those who are in Him, He is in us. Wow. Again. Wow.

There, of course, is a big word for that, called omniscience.

Charles Spurgeon said of this: "We believe that he filleth heaven and earth and hell; that he is in the very space which his creation seems to claim, for creatures do not displease God; and even the space which is occupied by his handiworks is still filled with himself."

He is, in fact, everywhere. Right now.

1 comment:

kevin h said...

"even the space which is occupied by his handiworks is still filled with himself." That is wonderful.