Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Wait on the weight or ...

The English language is an interesting one. It's not Greek, where there can be three words for the exact same meaning. Instead, in English there are three words that sound just alike but are spelled differently and mean different things.

Like wait.
Or weight.

Now, for me, they mean the same things essentially. Though I'm told that they do not mean the same thing, I beg to differ.

To wait, for me, is to put weight on.

Billy definition: Waiting is building up weight on my shoulders.

Jesus would argue, and thus win, that there is no need for this.

Paraphrasing, Jesus told us to let him bear the weight; let him take the buildup; let him deal with the load. He also said that worrying would not add a moment to our lives. He also said that he would handle it.

All Billy translations.

Oh, but that I could.

We're in our gazillionth day of looking for housing in the New Orleans area, and it's going, well, it's going. I remember well the last time we looked for housing in the New Orleans area. It was 1991. I came down with a friend to cover a Saints pre-season game and, oh, I also found a place for us to live. In one day. Found it. Secured it. Got the keys. Covered the game. Discovered there was someone named Buddy D on the radio. Knew that I wasn't in Kansas any longer.

Later, we discovered the house we would buy just around the corner from the one we were renting. Took a week to get 'er done.

Later, when we moved to the Northshore, we found a place in a short period of time. Lost it when someone bought it out from under us while our house was waiting to sell. Later, we put an offer down on a house we thought we loved, and it too was bought out from under us. Later, we found a house... oh, you get it.

Finally, with hope almost gone, we found a house we loved. Still do.

The point of all this is that Jesus has it. He has control. It might seem as if he doesn't, but the flat out reason for living is he does.

He will find us the house we're supposed to be in. Of that I am certain. The only question is whether my heart will be beating when Mary finds it.

Oh, he said he would handle that, too.

Wait.
No, weight.

Wait on the weight.
And take a load off Fanny (for those music buffs among you).

No comments: