Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Let it go...

It took a while, but the weight of another move, the biggest, farthest away move we've made finally hit me. Don't know what triggered it. But it triggered, and her I am, in front of a keyboard, letting most of what I'm feeling pour out like a stream from the throne room.

Okay, okay. This move thing began to hit me last night. Don't know why it took this long; maybe shock or something. But moving more than five hours away from my family and almost every friend I have in the world started to touch me, again.

So, this morning I do what I've told a thousand folks to do over the past 17 years. I turn to the God who loves me so much that this move must be part of some plan I've not been made privy to.

Psalm 20: In times of trouble, may the Lord answer your cry. May the name of the God of Jacob keep you safe from all harm. May he send you help from his sanctuary, and strengthen you from Jerusalem.

As I read this psalm, I'm moved that someone wrote this and it still speaks to me, to my situation, to my worries and woes.

There must be some reason that I'm needed in a town I will be seeing for the first time in a month or so. And even if there is no reason, I believe God will turn this to the good because we love him so much. And if he turns it to the good, there will be someone there who needs to hear something I've got to say. And if I've got something to say it's because he turned it to the good and he speaks through me and, and, oh, you see, the Lord has heard all this.

The Psalmist in this psalm goes on to write, "May he remember all your gifts and look favorably on your burn offerings. May he grant your heart's desires and make all your plans succeed. May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory in the name of our God. May the Lord answer all your prayers."

WOW.

The same God who created the universe cares about whether we have a new bank or not. The same God who walked with King David walks with us as we get new doctors and new TV provider and new internet service and new, uh, new everything.

The same God who created the very family of God and allows us to be a member of that family is the God who has walked into a new town ahead of us and who has taken away the sharp edges and has started what needs to be started to make us comfortable and loved.

Here's the deal: We are not alone in this. Pastors across the state will be moving into new circumstances. We've just had to do it more than most. There is an excitement that comes with this, a desire to move like, well, now.

The excitement that comes from being, to the best of our ability, in God's will, is true and real. And it outweighs the pain of the move itself. So, in times of trouble, may the Lord hear our cry. May we be up to the task ahead.

1 comment:

kevin h said...

God may well have a plan, which is good, because the La. Conf. of the U.M.C. seems pretty darn clueless.