Wednesday, April 1, 2015

What if this were your last 48 hours?

Let's play, for the moment, the what if game. You know, what if I hit the lottery. What will I do? That sort of thing.

Let's play it the #HolyWeek kind of way.

What if I knew I had two days to live. What would I do?

Two days. Forty eight hours. What could I cram into those hours? Let's begin by I would spend all 48 hours with my family, and the pets, of course. Now, that would eliminate most travel, as these cotton picking' pets do that as a rule anyway. So, 48 hours of something or other not far from home.

I would, I think, want to see a Marvel Comics movie. The latest whatever with only my family in the theater with me. Maybe even have the cast and crew, and Joss Whedon whether he directed or not. Call me crazy, but that's what I would want. That's about 2 1/2 hours of popcorn and coke.

I would want to eat the best meal I could, and that doesn't mean some fancy-smanzy restaurant like Commanders or such. Maybe the best steakhouse in New Orleans, which is where I would want to spend much if not all my last 48.

But I would like to drive up to Meridian, and just drive around a bit as I looked and pondered the long-ago youth. But the drive up and back and the time spent there would take about eight hours. That's most of the first day. I would then like to spend the last waking hours of the first day talking to the family.

The second day is more elaborate. I would want to go to a ball game, Saints if possible. That's four hours. Then I would like to have a party, a real last party kind of thing with friends from the past 100 years of my life.

As night came, I would want, again, to eat a really good meal, but this time I would want to go wherever the family wanted to go. That night I would want all the grandchildren to gather round the pets as we held them and such but do so at a special Jason Turner Band concert.

There would be no sleeping on those last 12 hours, for what would be the purpose? So, I would want to spend them with the family watching the old VHS tapes of their youth or fishing around in photos we have hanging around in boxes and such.

Then, goodbye.

There that's the 48. The last 48.

Jesus? Well, he spent his last 48 hours with friends, then alone. He spent them in pain. He spent them in sorrow. He spent them bleeding. He spent them desiring family to come forward and say goodbye. He spent them with criminals. He spent them doing what his Father wanted Him to do.

There is a notable difference, is there not?

The reason is Jesus spent Wednesday teaching and Thursday dining then being arrested. He did none of that for himself. Everything that I would claim as my last 48 was about me. Everything Jesus did was about, well, me.

A notable difference, is there not?

What if these were your last 48 hours? Would knowing what Jesus in his last 48 hours make a difference in your last 48? I pray so, if you don't know him by now.

No comments: