Monday, May 4, 2015

Some hero talk

In looking for something to muse about, I went this morning to two religion news sites, but all I got from those were moments of something less than happy, happy, happy. All the news, on a religion news site, was negative, bad, even in some cases the cause of minor depression.

Then I went to my devotional site, and read this from 2 Chronicles 7:14 from the CEB: "If my people who belong to me will humbly pray, seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land."

The formula for healing isn't going to be found in either Democrat or Republican candidates, but only -- I believe -- in the cleansing of self. We are the ones who have within us, by voter of God's promises of the Spirit to those who believe, the capability of humbly praying, seeking his face and turning from wicked ways. Then, and only then I'm afraid, will this land be healed.

And that ISN'T happening.

I did a children's moment yesterday where I asked the kids if they knew who the Avengers (a comic book about super heroes that came out in 1963 and is the inspiration for a movie that is making gazillion dollars today) were. They enthusiastically said yes.

I told them the Avengers were heroes. I asked them what a hero does. My grandson, Gavin, stuck and hand up and spoke at the same time (thereby negating the hand in the air). "They come to save us," he said.

I said, equally enthusiastically for I didn't think anyone would give me the answer I sought, "YeSSSSSSSS."

"They come to save us," I echoed.

I then asked, "Who in the church comes to save us?"

My older grandson, Gabe, said, "Jesus."

I could have hugged him, but at 11 he is in danger of being past those hugs from Pawpaw.

I then said, "Jesus came to save us. He cares more about others than he does himself. He even died to save us. That's what heroes do."

And that's the truth, folks. Heroes, those who truly want change and truly want to make a difference, come to save us because they care more about the welfare of others than they do themselves. They come offering to even die if that's what is necessary.

Now, Jesus did it in a world-saving manner. But we can do the same thing on a much, much smaller scale even this very day. To be a hero is simply to care and step out and step up. That easy. That well.

No comments: