Thursday, June 11, 2015

Be still


The Psalmist tells us that God says, "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
In Exodus, we read, "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."
This notion of doing something incredibly great, awesomingly wonderful by, uh, not doing anything at all is, well, awesomeingly wonderful, isn't it?
I have the tendency to want to work things out. My schedule. My plan. My way.
That's wrong in so many fundamental ways. When I work things out according to my schedule, exclusively my schedule, often I find I stress about it, I fumble the ball, I create all kind of metaphors and similes that don't apply. I, I, I
It becomes about me, and it's not about me this life I live.
Be still ... and you will know God.
I have the tendency to want to talk and talk and talk and talllllllllllkkkkkkkk.
Be still ... and you will know God.
I have the remarkable tendency to want to make things fit into the wrong hole because that's the way they are supposed to be.
Be still ... and you will know God.
I came back from Annual Conference wanting to pack everything, and I mean everything, in the first 30 minutes we were here. We have almost 3 weeks. We might need clothing, Mary reminded me. We might need that toothbrush, and those shoes.
Be still ... and you will know God.
So gather up your things, sit back on your chair, wait for it, just wait for it. There might be a touch of wisdom about to sprout.
Here it comes ....
Be still, and realize perhaps for the first time that He is doing your work, or rather His work, for you.
Be still, and know that the future still rests in His hands.
Be still, and know while you don't have the answers, He does.
Be still, and realize God is Master and Lord.
Be still, and relax.
Be still, and love.
Be still ____________________________ 

3 comments:

kevin h said...

Also relevant? From p.167 of the New Zealand Prayer Book:
It is but lost labour that we haste to rise up early,
and so late take rest, and eat the bread of anxiety.
For those beloved of God are given gifts even while they sleep.

Unknown said...

Kevin,
First it is remarkable that you have or have seen the New Zealand Prayer Book; second, it is remarkable what is written in it. Good show...
BT

kevin h said...

Billy, I learned about it from a very challenging New Zealand preacher who read from it (beautifully) every day online, as he also read the daily lectionary. Sadly, that man, David Guthrie, died just a few days ago. You would have disagreed much with his views on the authority of scripture and some other things, but his absolute reliance on Grace, the Holy Spirit, and the Resurrection were most compelling. Here's a link to the NZ Prayer Book. http://anglicanprayerbook.nz/