Thursday, July 21, 2016

No mere mortals

       Years ago, and I mean years and years ago, I used to be sent to the Associated Press Sports Editor conventions each summer by whatever newspaper I was working for.
       Each summer I was humbled, or something close to humbled, by meeting or just seeing the big names from all the big newspapers around the country. No matter how often I went or how well received each and every sports section I represented was, I always felt as if I didn't belong there. I felt small, even though for about 20 years in a row,  I think it was, the newspaper I represented won an award for best design or best sports section. I never felt like I was good enough to be a part of such a gathering.
       Now, I know you're thinking that I wasn't good enough. But my point is this: I should have understood, particularly in the latter part of my journey as a journalist (see what I did there?), that whatever was going well was not because of me.
       Heck, I still get those feelings when we gather as a slew of clergy at the Louisiana Annual Conference. I just don't feel as if I'm good enough. I am the most mortal of mere mortals.
       Never good enough. Never bold enough. Never successful enough. Never creative enough. Never, well, never. I'll never be enough...
       Then I read: 
"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'  So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” Hebrews 13:5-6
       "What can mere mortals do to me?" Simple question. Long, long answer. The better phrase might be, "What can mere mortals do in this lifetime when eternity is so much longer, so much better?"
       Let's do this experiment: No matter how you feel about whatever is going on in this country, in this state, in this city in which you live, no matter how deep, how dark things are, do you believe that God has you in the palm of his hand, that God knows your name, that God is awaiting your conversation with Him? Do you believe, do I believe, that there is absolutely nothing anyone can do to me that will keep me from professing Jesus as Lord? Do you believe that He will never leave you?
       See, we are no longer mere mortals, we believers in Jesus Christ. No longer are we bound by the rules that seem to govern life without Him. No longer are we able to make a good situation so darn messy.
       I am not enough. I'm not. No matter how successful I was, or how successful I am in a totally different realm, God has made sure what He offers is so much more. I am not enough, but He is.
       I will never be enough, but He already is more than enough. Great is His Faithfulness. Great is His Faithfulness.
       No mortal can do anything to me that He hasn't already fixed. I can do nothing that would cause me to fail, to fall, to lose, that He hasn't already made a success.


No comments: