Friday, November 13, 2009

Glorious days

Springstein writes of glory days.

He missed it by thisssssss much.

He should have written about those glorious day, not those days where we won ball games and felt our youth in those games, but days like today where God's grace flows over us and around us and in us like so much spring rain.

I played golf today, and it was another of those typical golf days for me. There was pain and suffering to be found on every other shot. But...I was content with what I shot. That's truly what the Lord gives us, when He grants us peace that is inexplicable -- the kind of peace that could only come from Him when all around us is chaos. It's like my shot on No. 15 at Pinewood today. I hit a towering hook, the kind that brings tears to the eyes of good golfers. It headed quickly toward a huge oak that stood protecting a home to my left. I watched it in misery; another ball so quickly taken in its youth. But somehow, someway the ball hit a limb or God threw it or something happened and the ball came rocketing back across the fairway, winding up in the middle as if this was my intention on the shot.

I stood there quite aware that a good shot had just been made but I had nothing whatsoever to do with it.

That is grace. That's what I've felt today. I have a week left in my "career" and I feel a little shaky about the whole thing, but yet God says to me, "Worry not, for I will never leave you."

That's all I have, all Mary has. A beautiful day is a day that God is there with me from the first achy, breaky moments of morning till the last achy, breaky moments of the evening. The temp might be cold, hot or a wonderful sort of elixir. The humidity might be cutable with a knife or non-existent. The rain might come or go. The wind, who cares?

What makes it a glorious day is My Lord, My God, sweeping away my anxiousness, taking away my worry, eliminating my fear.

Today was a glorious day. I believe it was a Friday. I know it was God's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

made it! woo hoo. now, i must put on my brain to read it. :) Looking forward to your sendoff (mental note: call editor to make sure I'm not working that night).

Tammy