Monday, November 23, 2009

What if?

Today we venture into the world of the what if?

What if we ...

run out of money, run out of time, stay in pain, have no place to live, you-name-the-problem?

The Bible is fairly clear about this. Look at young David. He had been told he would be king, and he found himself living in a cave. Now, that doesn't sit right with my ideas about what king-ship should be. I would have doubted just what God was up to. David?

(From the message) What a beautiful home, God of the Angel Armies! I've always long to live in a place like this. Always dreamed of a room in your house, where I could sing for joy to God-alive. Birds find nooks and crannies in your house, sparrows and swallows make nests there. They lay their eggs and raise their young, sining their songs in the place where we worship.

Truth is, I've lived a life without need. I've never been far from a fairly large paycheck, never been without whatever I wanted. If I couldn't buy it, I could charge it and I could pay my bills. I lived in no cave, though I could have taken care of my home better.

Now, I strike out into the world of no credit cards and no large pay checks and I wonder if I've created a self-imposed cave?

Then I read: God of the Angel Armies! King! God! How blessed they are to live and sing there.

In other words, in the only area that matters, I'm blessed beyond belief. Better is, as the song goes, one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere. I don't know what the future holds, but I hold tight to the one who does. That's really all we have in this life. That's really all we need.

No comments: