Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What could I do?

Last night was Halloween, as many might have noted. I went to the West Bank of New Orleans, a cultural difference with my current home on the Northshore of New Orleans that only persons of residence in the two spots might understand.

We went to see the , or I guess four since Mia is now officially too old to do such things it seems, of the grand kids go out in a desperate attempt to procure candy and treats of all kinds from those who would give them.

We went to a neighborhood that is drastically into the, uh, spirit or spirits as the case might be. Fabulous homes decked in homage to the dead was this neighborhood, which somehow has enough clout or money that not only did two cops fly through the area on those standup scooters that would work so well my country setting that I immediately wished I had one, but they had a cop looking at tickets to get into the area. Tickets for a neighborhood for folks to get in.

I knew I was in a different land of cotton when the neighbors were walking around carrying red wine. At least I think it was red wine. Maybe they made all their money over a long, long period of time and the "red wine" was more like, uh, blood? Just saying.

There was a time when Halloween was my favorite holiday, just as there was a time when I would have been the one drinking, uh, something.

But the still relatively new me, after all these many years passed, could see but one thing last night as we toured the area. If these folks would take the money they had spent on dressing up their neighborhood, perhaps there could be one or two less homeless persons in New Orleans on this cool October night. Perhaps if they didn't spend quite so much on their meaningless dressing up and dressing down, perhaps some child somewhere in the world on that cool October night might have been fed. Just saying...

Now, I know in some ways that's apples and oranges, and you can't make someone give up their pay and I'm judging and all that stuff.

But the still relatively new me thought the whole time, what could I do with this money? What could I make, change, recreate? What resources could I turn this into?

Maybe the still relatively new me is still too much like the seemingly old me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess we are all guilty of this in one way or another. For ex. when I buy a pepsi for a buck tweny nine, that would be three doses of meds for some child in a third world country. Thank goodness we have a gracious and loving God that forgives us. Love, June