Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The key moment of Christmas

Assuming that my little but loyal readership is filled with adults, I ask this question...when and/or how did you learn there was no Santa.

I was talking with my wife, Mary, recently about such things and I looked into the far-distant past for this anecdote.

I was 8 years of age, which I think is somewhere about the appropriate age. I was in West Virginia for the Christmas season, maybe a week, with snow ordered and delivered. I was told to go down to the basement of my Aunt Elsie's house and get something out of the suitcase. There I found a transistor radio, which was my desire and my question of Santa. I thought for long minutes about this, and with my cousin having blabbed earlier and my parents having denied the cousin's statement, thing began to click into gear. I went upstairs and asked, and just like that there was no Santa. It was like a very quick, without drugs, operation. One minute I had Santa. The next I didn't.

My life wasn't changed. I wasn't a new person. The Christmas gifts didn't change; they still came. Only the one giving them changed, and that was only in my mind.

There's a bigger change I want to talk about. Does anyone remember with the same clarity the moment they came to Christ?

Isn't that what these holidays should be about? Shouldn't we be telling our kids, our grand kids, our friends and our neighbors about that moment?

Just asking.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I remember the first time I prayed the "sinners prayer", and then I remember when I really came to Him about 3 years later...He keeps rocking my world. Good blog post....hope more people respond, but more importantly hope they truly put to thought what your asking.