Friday, March 2, 2012

Devotion is ...

Devotion is a sometimes scary thing. For instance, I -- along with many, many others in the area I live in -- am going into convulsions because the New Orleans Saints haven't signed quarterback Drew Brees to a new contract. I read, listen, watch for that moment when one signature on one contract will send puffs of white smoke skyward and let the celebrations begin.

However, the question, a serious question at that, is whether I -- along with many, many others in the area I live in -- have that same devotion to our Lord and Savior.

Matthew 5: 20 reads, "For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

I don't see an out-clause there. I don't see unless your righteousness is given an out because you're too busy caring about sports, politics, entertainment, washing your car or whatever.

Righteous means doing the right thing.

Mother Teresa said, "We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls."

I take that to mean, stop what we're doing and listen. Be devoted to one thing, the love and sharing of Christ. All this other stuff is what we call lagniappe down here.

No comments: