Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fleur de leak

We have a toaster. It somehow sinks its way into the bread we put into it and burns a fleur de lis into it. I don't know how it does it, but it does. I see only the results and each time I do this I am satisfied.

Thus was I with the Super Bowl victory of the New Orleans Saints. I didn't know how they did it, particularly on defense, I only know they did. I could only the results and each time they did that, I was satisfied.

Today? Not so much. But still I withhold judgment because for some reason the parties that I keep waiting to hear from on the now infamous "bounty-gate" continue to say nothing at all.

Before I pass judgment either way, I would like to know:

Why didn't the Saints stop when the investigation in 2010 produced no evidence?
Why hasn't head football coach Sean Payton and general manger Mickey Loomis spoken to the media?
Why is it business as usual at the Saints camp while everywhere else it is chaos?

Why? Why? Why?

It seems one thing I've learned over years in the ministry following years in sports journalism is that no one seems to want to really, truly admit mistakes. Ask anyone why they lost a football game, and for the most part you get reasons why things went against them instead of reasons why the losing team created its own failures. Ask anyone why they sin, and they give you a thousand reasons why things went against them instead of admitting their own failures.

Admission of failure, then, is the beginning of repentance.

I've seen far little true admission of failure from the Saints. That disturbs me. For the most part, what I've read and heard is true pain that they were caught. That disturbs me more.

Till the principals, and by that I don't mean Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator who apparently is the grand cause of this, come forward, hold a press conference, look people they've failed in the eye and truly repent of this, something like it will happen again.

That's the way this works.

No comments: