Thursday, April 26, 2012

Are you blessed?

Paul tells us this morning there is reason to celebrate. In his letter to the church in Ephesus, he writes, "For in our union with Christ he has blessed us by giving us every spiritual blessing in the heavenly world."

I named this blog (before there were blogs and I simply wrote them for inserts into Sunday bulletins 15 years ago or so) That's Life. Note where those blessings Paul is writing about occur, however. In the heavenly world, he writes. Therefore, one can conclude they don't occur in this life.

This notion of blessings is an old one, back to Genesis. But I like what Paul wrote to the church in Rome about the subject. He wrote, " For Macedonia and Achaia were pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the Lord’s people in Jerusalem. 27 They were pleased to do it, and indeed they owe it to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in the Jews’ spiritual blessings, they owe it to the Jews to share with them their material blessings. 28 So after I have completed this task and have made sure that they have received this contribution, I will go to Spain and visit you on the way."

Two types of blessing, huh? Spiritual blessings. Material blessings.

So, the obvious question this morning is, do you feel blessed? I know some folks who when asked how they are always answer, "I am blessed." By that they mean that everything in their life is a gift from God and they are blessed.

In this world today, the word blessing often means "good" stuff. In other words, many folks wouldn't understand if someone who has very, very little were to say they were blessed.

Doesn't mean it isn't true. It means the world can't understand it. Paul wrote, "To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings."

So, tell me about your blessings this morning. Take only a few minutes. Reply below or on Facebook. But tell us all about how blessed, or not, that you feel.

No comments: