Monday, April 16, 2012

While it was still dark

Early on Sunday morning while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been taken away from the entrance.

I'm struck by two things here: 1) Mary went while it was still dark and she saw that the stone had been taken away.

This morning I want to talk about darkness and the stones in our lives that lead us to that darkness.

Who among us hasn't felt that tinge of darkness in our lives from time to time? Just yesterday, as I read the final sports column from a Mississippi icon, Rick Cleveland, as time and the disappearing of our newspapers led four more friends to accept buyouts and head on with their lives as positions are dropped from our nation's print journalism ranks, I felt that sorrow that comes with darkness.

Oh, what we all were at one point, 35 years ago or so, starting in the business together, changing the way the local sports newspaper would be seen for decades. I was the first to leave, and had I to do it all over again ... I would do it because those steps led me to where I am, strangely enough. I came expecting much, and much was granted by a loving God who gently shepherded me down the right path.

Mary headed to the tomb expecting nothing. Nothing was all she had known since her mentor, the man she loved as a dear, dear friend had died. Nothing was all she ever expected to receive again. The one who had saved her, helped her, molded her was gone. What could possibly be right about the world in the future?

Darkness needs a cure. Darkness needs to have stones rolled away before it can be dealt with. Darkness needs, well, light.

Mary did nothing at all to bring the light back to her life, it's important to note. No self-help classes. No fervent prayer. Nothing.

The light came back verses later when Jesus appeared again.

That same Jesus saved me 16 years ago, changed me, rolled the stone away in my life. I am kin to Mary that way.

Do I regret not taking more advantage of the gifts God gave me in that other life? Sure. But I know this without question .... my life is abundant because of Him. I was in darkness; he provided the light.

No comments: