Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Titanic dog pound

I know folks who do not like pets. I have one daughter who has no pets, though I dearly would love to give a dog to her boys. I do not understand those people, as they do not understand us.

I like many share a fascination with the sinking of Titanic. I was reading this morning about the dogs that were on board, 12 I believe, and the three that were saved.

Then I read this: "One particularly sad story involves a Great Dane owned by 50-year-old Ann Elizabeth Isham. Miss Isham visited her dog at the ship's kennel daily and when she was evacuating, asked to take him also. When she was told the dog was too large, she refused to leave without him and got out of the lifeboat. Several days later, the body of a woman clutching a large dog was spotted by crew of the recovery ship, Mackay-Bennet, and dinghies were dispatched. Eyewitness accounts by crew and ship's log confirm the sighting and recovery, and the body recovered is assumed to be Miss Isham."

I never say what I would do in those situations. I only know how wonderful and beautiful I believe this story to be.

I've written before of the genuine and unconditional love our dogs and to an extent (I think) our cats give us and we them. The fact that almost all have a story attached to the way we got them, mostly rescues and such, only makes them the more special.

I would save them all if it was in my power. Heck, just moving them to the next parsonage is a chore we have to figure out. But it is all worth it, the expense, the cleaning, the you name it. All of it is worth it.

I believe they are gifts from God, friends I can never forget. Would I go to the deep for them? I don't know. But I will go through most anything else. I am their good shepherd as Jesus is mine.

No comments: