Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Playing the cool tunes

I feel like a local disc jockey this morning. Ahem. Ahem.

This goes out to all those who got up this morning feeling emotionally hung over. This is your morning drive guy, Hurtin-all-the-time, playing a few tunes for the spiritually tuned-out. Hey, how about for all your listening pleasure, it's David from a cave singing Psalm 142...

"When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way. In the path where I walk men have hidden a snare for me. Look to right and see; no one is concerned for me. I have no refuge; no one cares for my life. I cry to you, O Lord; I say, "you are my refuge."

Whew. The man can write some lyrics, huh? David, from a cave, that was. Well, you may need a better pick me up than that. I'm pretty sure I do. How about some hip-hop from Babylon? This is Isaiah, that hit maker from Palestine, telling us some good news in the A.M. from beside the river.

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, 'Your God reigns.'"

That's my man. There ought to be a song called Our God Reigns. How beautiful on the mountains are the feet. I dig it. I got me some sandals this morn; I'm singing some good news. How bout you, good friends? You singing some good tunes? Are your bad times getting better? Before we go to break, let's look at what our man Isaiah once sang about this guy who was kinda like you and me, if you know what I mean. Just an average Joe, a common Paluka. A regular guy, if you get my drift. Here's Isaiah on the Suffering Servant here at your home of the hits, WWJD-radio....

"He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in his appearance that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering."

Well, now, I remembered that as being a bit more upbeat instead of a downer ballad. What can we say about this morning that hasn't been said? Well, well my ladies and gentlemen, my little Christs out there in spiritual land. Let's go to break now and hear some advertising that might make you smile. This is your hit-playing BT-man on WWJD-radio.

Laden with a heavy burden?
Why not turn to the answer to the social condition of all mankind?
Today and everyday, turn to the one who said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." No money down, no money per month. Just give up that burden to the one who promised to take it. Here at Grace Incorporated, we promise that you will save and be saved by the very grace extended to you by our founder. Call us today at 1-800-heavenwaits. Don't wait, you never know when the CEO might return.

That's Grace incorporated, friends and enemies. I've got a few minutes left on the clock before I sign off and take my trip into the ol' clouds. How about a call from one of your listeners?

Uh, Hurtin-all-the-time, my name is Sheila, from Pascataway. I was just wonderin out loud kinda thing. Is smoking, texting and driving at the same time a sin? I've got a, uh, friend, yeah a friend, who does that sometimes.

Sheila. I don't know if all that's a sin or not, and I don't know if it sends you to Hell in a busted up handbasket, but I know where ever you're headed, you'll get there a whole lot quicker if you smoke and text while driving. I think it's a law that you gotta have at least one hand on the wheel and at least one eye on the road, if you know what I mean, and I believe you do.

That's all the time we have today. Gotta go, gotta go. Be safe. Be sure. Be protected. Be loving. We''ll head on off to promised land with a new tune from this young Rabbi from Galilee. Remember, it's not how you begin but how you end. Toodles. Shine some light on me when you get a chance. It gets pretty dark up in here. Here we go. Roll em Baptizer...

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let you light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."

No comments: