Thursday, July 12, 2012

Through the deep and through the flame

Yesterday I saw an item on Facebook that made me think, something I'm loathe to do. A person who has lifted me up when I've needed it, well, needed to be lifted up. I tried. Maybe I did what I tried. That's in the eye, and soul, of the receiver I suspect.

But this morning I saw a verse that seemed to speak to that same person, as well as myself. Let's see: "When you cross deep rivers, I will be with you, and you won't drown. When you walk through fire, you won't be burned or scorched by the flames." Isaiah 43:2

I know it's dangerous to steal a sentence from God to his people Israel, taking what was a personal line of conversation and applying it to all things us, but still, the sentiment is real and sure.

Notice nowhere does it say, "if." No ifs, ands, buts. Only whens need apply.

When we cross deep rivers, and I have figuratively.
When we walk through fire, and I have figuratively.

We will cross, we will walk, God keeps saying to us, and through it all, through it all, He is there.

The application is this: Life says we will have difficulty, no matter what the group of "theologians" who tell you that if you believe you will be blessed with all you can possibly imagine. Life says we will struggled. Life says we will sacrifice.

God says He will honor each of those, particularly those who sacrifice in the name of Jesus. There also will be times when we wonder if we've done the right thing, because the sacrifice and the difficulty and the struggle is so great. That's only human, I'm afraid.

What we do when that happens is not slow down, not quit, not even look for another way but remember, we will not drown, we will not burn. God is with us, even in the deep water, even in the furnace. Always. And forever.

That's the promise. That's the prosperity Gospel.

No comments: