Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Nothing Town

Part of what this blog is, I guess, is a personal journal of where I've been, where I am, where I'm going. Just part of the gig.

It's time, I think, to write about someone very close to me who gives me such pride in his achievements, and perhaps more so, his tenacity.

My son, Jason Turner, is a singer/songwriter/musician. He and millions of others have had dreams, dreams of stardom, dreams of getting their "music" out there...somewhere. He turned 34 the other day, and obviously knows better than most of us that time is slipping, slipping away. His only "job" is singer/songwriter/musician.

He's driven millions of miles across the South to play. To sing. To do what he can to be seen and heard. Nashville? Sure. Pensacola? Why not. Auburn, Ala., Austin, Texas, and on and on the wheels turn.

He's self-produced three albums, and sold enough of the last one to help his family stay in food and in their home, with the help of his loving and patient wife.

But yesterday, a bit of a goal was reached. Still without a contract, Oxford Sounds from the Tweed Recording Studio in Mississippi released an EP, a short version of an album, which features only Jason and not his backing band. It's his first release on a label. From the album 13 years, which came out in 2011, he included Nothing Town, tonight, Hotter Than the Sun and Imperfect and True. From his forthcoming album, due out in the Spring, he included Lose You and Summer Time.


Yesterday the album was included in the Blues genre (blues because of the subject matter on some songs rather than the sound itself) on I-tunes, and it was in ninth place in the genre nationally. Nationally. You can buy it, by the way, for $4.99 on I-tunes. Just go to genre, blues, and it's under new and noteworthy.

We couldn't be more proud. He continues to improve on his craft, and we pray that one day all his effort will be met with national exposure. Again, millions want the same thing. But tenacity is his key.

From Nothing Town:

"Half my life has gone by and I'm still stuck at a red light, at the crossroads of the choices I've made in my life. I fear I'm running out of time."

"I want to see the big city lights. I want so much more for my life. I am driving fast as I can to get out of this nothing town."

But of all that Jason has done or will do, I take particular pleasure in the fact that recently he became a worship leader at a church near his home in Madison, Miss.

As I get older, much older by the minute, I think some of the same thoughts Jason has from time to time. I stayed far too long at that red light, and made way too many bad choices at that crossroad. But Jesus saved me for this purpose, whatever it is that I'm doing. Little successes, things I don't even know about sometimes, are my lot in life and in ministry.

After two books written that did nothing, I must admit, I've given up. I pray that in whatever form it takes him, that Jason never gives up on his dreams.

Dreaming is still important. I think it's what happens when reality doesn't meet expectation. Sometimes it takes a dreamer to change the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very proud of him as I am of you. Some dreasm are never reached but we still have to reach for them.