Thursday, May 9, 2013

What you've missed

Hi mom!

Long time no see, or hear. Six years I guess it's been.

Thought I would update you on how things are going. You've missed a few things.

We'll start slowly. Remember that TV show that we watched while we were evacuated from Hurricane Katrina, the one that kept us from spending even more time with you? Turns out it was my favorite TV show of all time. It went off a couple years back and I've been Lost with out it ever since.

Anyway, you've missed all these grandchildren growing, playing ball exactly like I used to. You missed Carrie's wedding, and you never met Gavin or Emma, or Mia or Karli. They would have liked you I suspect.

You've missed my decision four years ago about leaving journalism and going full-time into the ministry. I suspect that would have scared you a mite. But I also strongly figure you would have supported it, because thinking back there was never a thing I did that you didn't support, even when you shouldn't have.

I miss Lizelia. I miss honeysuckle in the spring. I miss the nights out there. I miss my child-hood home. I miss, well, home. I don't figure I'll ever really have one again. Just the lay of the land, Mom.

I went to Kansas City last year and visited Aunt Berniece. I suspect that would have made you quite happy, for we talked about you quite a bit.

As I sit and type, Pandora radio is playing The Old Rugged Cross. Do you remember when I sang that in Cuba, Ala., at the camp meeting and I froze about half-way through. I was only eight, but I will never, apparently, forget that moment.

You've missed Jason's singing career advancements, and Shanna's professionalism through adversity. You missed her husband Danny's motorcycle accident that killed him and left all of us devastated for quite some time. That anniversary is just nine days away. The last time I ever saw Danny was when they came out for Mother's Day in 2007. Thought you would like to know Shanna has done some wonderful juggling of job and parenting. Gabe and Gavin are, well, Gabe and Gavin. Funny, temperamental, hyper and all the things a couple of boys under the age of 10 should be.

You've missed Carrie's maturation into a wonderful mom. She and Emma are sensational together.

And you've missed Mary making congregation after congregation feel loved because she's loved them with all her being.

You've missed, well, a lot. And a lot has miss

Thanksgivings and Christmases have been so different. Food is different. Schedules and phone calls and such have changed. Now that we don't technically have a home any longer, I will forever regret that you missed seeing it.

Sunday is Mother's Day. But I suspect that for this adopted, only child, every day has always been Mother's Day.

Say hello to Aunt Nita, Blannie and even Dad. Let Jesus know I'm trying, and ask him if on occasion he might just help my unbelief at times with a jolt of faith. And when I sin, ask him to throw a bit more grace on the pile, cause I sure need it.

Talk to you again next year, unless I get there soon.

Billy



No comments: