Monday, May 20, 2013

Worn

Ah, Monday and already a doctor's visit in the bag. My home away from home, it seems. Lately. Monday's. Three straight weeks of doctor's visits on Monday. Sinus headaches/infection, back, now I have a rash.

I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to work, but as I told the doc, I'm also pretty sure that's all I'm allergic to. He said it might be poison Ivy. I told him I had been to no forests, glades, woods or any kind, and never have I picked flowers or such. So, it's probably not poison Ivy. And no, I don't know if the p in poison should be capitalized.

So, today I'm starting off a Monday -- cruel, cruel timing -- with little sleep last night for all the itching, and did I mention it's Monday?

Who decided Monday's would be so difficult, by the way. There's little mention of days of the week in the Bible so I think it wasn't Jesus' idea.

I was thinking all morning about how out of it I feel, and somehow that led me to this notion: Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11: 28-29.

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm certain Jesus meant those who are weary and burdened by the awful toll the Mosiac Law took upon people, who simply couldn't do it all, all the time.

Matthew Henry said of this verse: "Those who labour to establish their own righteousness also labour in vain. The convinced sinner is heavy-laden with guilt and terror; and the tempted and afflicted believer has labours and burdens. Christ invites all to come to him for rest to their souls. He alone gives this invitation; men come to him, when, feeling their guilt and misery, and believing his love and power to help, they seek him in fervent prayer. Thus it is the duty and interest of weary and heavy-laden sinners, to come to Jesus Christ. This is the gospel call; Whoever will, let him come. All who thus come will receive rest as Christ's gift, and obtain peace and comfort in their hearts."

But I will say that it also speaks to those times when it all seems to pile up on us like debris from a tsunami. And no matter what anyone tells you, it does pile up. We all need a release. We need something that will lift the worry, pick up the problem, heal the boo-boo. That, it seems to me, is what Jesus brings to the dinner.

Does he fix every problem? Well, I'm a preacher who didn't do much sinning yesterday  and I got the best looking rash you ever wanted to see (or not).

But he is there to talk to about it, to listen to us wail. That's enough, it seems to me.

Christian band Tenth Avenue North has a song out called worn. The lyrics are:
I'm tired, I'm worn
My heart is heavy
From the work it takes
To keep on breathing
I've made mistakes
I've let my hope fail
My soul feels crushed
By the weight of this world
And I know that You can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left

Let me see redemption win
Let me know the struggle ends
That You can mend a heart that's frail and torn

I would continue, but I've scheduled a scratching session.

Come to him, all who read this who have heavy burdens of any kind and let us see redemption win.

No comments: