Monday, November 25, 2013

Keep on plowing

I saw a Facebook item where there was a passing of a sweet soul from a former church recently. As usual, it got me thinking. He was a good man, rang the bell for years at the church. The type of man you can build churches with. We're losing them at an alarming rate, I figure.

There are transitions in ever life, points of emphasis, markers that you just know will be meaningful as one looks back. We head into a week in which we have loved ones that must move and money is a strong issue. We have a house that a renter must pay but we've lost the ability to contact him, and I fear we will have to force him out of the house, and then ... what.

Decisions about the ministry must be made fairly soon, as they are every year. And on and on and on.

I believe the next couple weeks will be some for the Turner family. Decisions must be made. Decisions must be carried out.

Hopefully diagnoses will be made that will be correct and something will be done about said diagnoses.

All of which leads me to wonder about what comes next. Which got me to thinking about what exactly did the Israelites thinks they wandered for 40 years. And why didn't they simply stop where they were and build a life there? Course, there was that bit about it being desert, and I guess they didn't want to live with all that sand in the tents. But what I think kept them going all along was a desire to arrive. To get to where they needed to be. To simply follow what God had told them to follow and to get there, no matter what.

Eventually, I think that's pretty much what life is, figuring out what God wants from us and doing it. Just keep plowing the field, no matter the obstacle in front of you. I think it's keeping on keeping on no matter the stump you run into to, no matter the clotted, rocky terrain. Just keep plowing.

Seems the past 10 years have been constant ebb and flow, but again, that's what life is all about I reckon.

The prophet Malachi  records God's words about plans: On the day that I act, they will be my treasured possession. "I will spare them just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him."

Keep plowing, my friends.

1 comment:

Kevin H said...

When you said "bell" I knew it must be Eugene from GUMC. A sweet man indeed.