Tuesday, November 26, 2013

When the darkness closes in

I remember a time as a child when I was upset when it wasn't cold on Thanksgiving. Something or other in my little brain linked cold weather, turkeys, dressing, all in one package that would somehow lead to a white Christmas.

After yesterday, I want a re-vote. What a day. What weather. What erkkyness.

I digress.

I was working yesterday, of course, on Sunday's sermon and as part of the series I'm doing on seeing Christmas through new eyes I read the passage in Isaiah 9 that sings, literally sings, to me.

"Nevertheless, that time of darkness and despair will not go on forever. The land of Zebulun and Naphtali will be humbled, but there will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, which lies along the road that runs between the Jordan and the sea will be filled with glory."

As I write this, one of my five favorite praise songs is playing. It started after I started so I claim it as a message, not an inspiration. Someone is singing "Blessed Be Your Name."

"Every blessing you pour out I'll turn to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say,
Blessed be your name."

Matt Redman's lyrics proclaim the idea that no matter what happens, no matter how dark it gets in our lives, no matter how wonderful it gets in our lives, blessed be the name of the Lord.

My goodness do I need a reminder of that from time to time.

The first Sunday I returned to our home church in Gretna after Hurricane Katrina took part of the roof of the less than year-old church, an amazing eight years ago now, I was tasked that day of planning the music.

I had decided we would use that tune as our opener followed by Darrel Evans' "I'm trading my sorrows." We weren't sure who or how many would come to that Sunday. They had held a service the week before and had, I believe, 11 persons.

As the service began, the music began, and Matt Redman began to sing to my heart. I looked up and two dear elderly sisters, who paid for the wonderful window opening to the sanctuary, came walking in slowly.

I knew right then we would be okay, whatever that is.

When the darkness closed in, God sent his Son to be the light. He still does.

No comments: