Friday, November 1, 2013

Why so serious?

As I'm sitting here, coffee going cold as I ponder what next to pontificate about, I'm thinking of Heath Ledger's rendition of The Joker from the Dark Knight movie: "Why so serious?" he asked, over and over.

Indeed. Why so dang serious?

The sun has just burned off a lingering fog from a day-long drenching and a cold front that tip-toed through the area after 9 p.m. It's going to be a promising, beautiful day in ol' Eunice, La.

So...
Why so serious?

I do a lot of thinking about, talking about, dreaming about, pondering this thing we call God's will for our lives.

I often ponder so hard my head breaks. Well, not really, but you get the idea. Why is it such a hard thing to ponder? Perhaps because I, we, are searching in the wrong place.

In Micah's little piece, I read this: "But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love. And don't take yourself too seriously -- take God seriously.

Oh.
Psst.
I get it -- momentarily.

Don't take myself seriously.
But turn to him, who is very serious.

Seems to me we spend a vast majority of our time not turning to Him, but turning to themes, problems, worries and such. We spend a vast majority of our time trying to fix things that were never ours to fix. We spend a vast majority of our time trying to overcome the tsunami that is culture, when what Jesus really wanted all along was to heal the culture, not swim against it.

Do what is fair and just and be compassionate leaves little to the imagination.

Just do it. That's a serious faith, in a comical world.

That's particularly what I like about what Pope Francis is doing. He is simply living out and into the mission. Francis repeatedly has stressed economic justice and care for the poor as priorities and he has warned that the church has become obsessed with a few issues, the most notable of which are abortion, contraception and homosexuality.

I would argue, quietly, that it is vital the church takes care of the poor, but also lead the poor to a saving relationship with Jesus, but first and foremost it is vital we begin the feed, clothes, house the poor. I would also argue, quietly, that government can't and won't do that sufficiently. I understand there are some who would argue against that thought. So be it.

That's where the compassion of the one who told the story of the Samaritan came in.

The point is this: I have  few answers. The answer I've found for myself and others comes down to a man, this Jesus, who has made me sure of a few things, the most meaningful of which is that I really, really can't take myself too seriously.

In a few moments research, I found these titles:

The Call to Seriousness: The Evangelical Impact on the Victorians.

I'm sure that's quite the page-turner, but I think I'll pass. Is it any wonder that we can't get folks in the doors of our churches? We're so dang serious we can't see the joy in the eyes of a serious God.

No comments: