Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Things the Lord hates

Do we still have evil running around on the planet like a rabbit from a bunch of dogs?

I opened the Book to this:
There are six things the Lord hates -- no, seven things he detests:
haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands the kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.

Let's see, proud eyes (check, seen 'em) , liars (check, seen 'em), murders (on TV, check), people whose head and heart are seeking evil for someone (check, seen 'em), liars (must be a biggee to Him), and those who sow discord (never thought I would, but I have seen these persons).

I would add the person who invented those flat prescription drug thingees in which you have to impossibly pull out the container by pressing on one end and pulling on the other, and broccoli. But that's just me.

This whole chapter, the sixth of Proverbs, is described as lessons for daily living. they are sort of things passed down from father to son, things to do, and things to not do. The 20th verse says it all: "My son, obey your father's commands, and don't neglect your mother's instruction. Keep their words always in your heart. Tie them around your neck."

Let's explore this in greater depth for just a moment.

Today we face all sorts of challenges, even nestled deeply in the arms of the church. The fact is sometimes, an evil person is easy to identify. At other times, we must be careful. 2 Thessalonians 2:7 mentions a ‘secret’ evil power. Sometimes evil comes dressed in pretty benign clothing.

Matthew 7:15-20 explains how to identify evil people. We must look for the results of these people’s actions. ‘A good tree cannot have bad fruit. A bad tree cannot have good fruit.’ (Matthew 7:18) If we see a poisonous tree, its fruit is poisonous. If we see a good tree (for example, an apple tree), its fruit is good.

Consider the actions of the man in Proverbs 6:12-15. In verse 12, he speaks false words. Such behavior is not good. It warns us about the man’s true character. In verse 14, he starts arguments. This man’s behaviour is evil. We should not trust him.

We cannot see that the man is plotting an evil plan in his heart (verse 14). However, we can already hear his arguments. And we can hear his false words. The results of his actions are wrong. He is like the bad tree in Matthew 7:18. The man’s actions are evil, so his plan will also be evil.
 
But as I read Proverbs 6:20, which talks about the law of your mother, I'm reminded of mine own as we head toward the sixth anniversary of her death.
 
I can hear her right now: "All I do is follow you around, picking up after you like some maid. As long as you live under my roof, you'll do as I say. Beds are not made for jumping on. Always wear clean underwear in case you get in an accident. Answer me when I ask you a question. Close the door. Were you raised in a barn? Do you think I'm made out of money? Don't go out with a wet head, you'll catch cold. Don't make me get up."
 
Once she told me to not run in the house and minutes later I fell on a floor furnace grating and burned myself badly. I still ran in the house when I could.
 
The point is this: Solomon is speaking wisdom to a select group, us. We must keep an eye out for evil, and we must remember the laws passed down by our mamas.
 
Wisdom in is wisdom out.
 

No comments: