Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Choose listening to Him

"I call upon you, O Lord; come quickly to me; give ear to my voice when I call to you. Let my prayer be counted as incense before you; and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice." Psalms 141 1-2

I have found a losing battle with a company, two companies really, about Internet and phone service, and what I've finally come to understand is I am incompetent in the battles of big companies. I am unable to be patient enough to navigate the voice messages of some unholy and dastardly -- shall I say, evil -- company that lead me to who knows where. And today, I'm told, they're having a nation-wide problem with their system. THE ONES WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO HOOK ME UP are having a nation-wide problem with Internet explorer.

I'm reminded that ultimately no matter what I think of my abilities, good or bad, I am not in charge, not in control, not sovereign. Heck, I misspelled sovereign the first time before spellcheck spellchecked.

I say all that to say this, what decision do you have right now that will change your life? Good or bad, big or small? What's the next decision that will change the way things are in your daily routine, your prayer time, your reading of scripture time, your TV time, your communication time with a spouse, or a child or friend?

You know you have them. You know there are times when a choice you make will come.

So, what do we do?

Perhaps, just perhaps, we do what our Lord did.  "Jesus went to a solitary place at daybreak." And we know that there's where He got in touch with His Father. He got in touch with the tower to sort out His priorities for the day. That's where you have to go daily. You have to go there early, and you have to go there alone and let God lay on your heart His "musts."

Joshua, a warrior for God, said it this way: "But if you refuse to serve the Lord, then choose today whom you will serve. Would you prefer the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates? Or will it be the gods of the Amorites in whose land you now live? But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord.” 

I've had a great deal of difficulty getting things settled at our church after conflict arose and all heck broke loose, but through it all I've tried, really tried, to do what God would have me do. It has required much time alone with him.

As Laura Story wrote, "What if your healing comes through raindrops..."

Just wait. Just listen. Just act.

That, too, is life.

No comments: