Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Shaky pillars

The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father's family, and go to the land that I will show you." ... So Abram departed as the Lord had instructed.

"When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land."

"The Lord went ahead of them. He guided them during the day with a pillar of cloud, and he provided light at night with a pillar of fire."

"Then the Lord said to Moses, "Why are you crying out to me? Tell the people to get moving."

So, Sunday's local newspaper featured, I'm told since I haven't seen it, a picture of myself and a story about Mary and my move to New Orleans and our plans to help plant a new church. I told the reporter I thought it was awfully early to be doing that story. She told me that there really weren't that many Sundays till we were gone, so they wanted to make sure they got it in.

The move is now less than 60 days, and we have a couple of real reservations.

1) We don't have a place to live, a place to send movers, a place to set up TV, phone, Internet service.
2) See above.

Did I mention that the Israelites had cloud and a fire? Is that too much to ask for? I could use a cloud over our truck or car as we drive three hours to find a miserable house or two. I could use a pillar of fire in the form of a giant arrow or even a giant Bat-signal (cross and flame?????) pointing to the place we will set up residence in.

The Apostle Paul describes that magical non-DNA substance we are given by a loving God as this: "
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. ..."

Confidence.
Hope.
Assurance.
Not visible.

The ancients were commended, especially Abram, but I can't get past those pillars. Man, I could use me some pillars.

Then I remembered that despite those pillars of clouds and fire, the Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years.

Oh, never mind. Keep the pillars.

Send me some .coms with residential listings.

And douse me in faith.

No comments: