Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Tonight is a night you have made

I wonder if you've ever have had this thought:

Have I dreamed big enough?
Have I made asked enough in prayer?
Have I made my requests great enough?

Each morning, or nearly every morning, I ask God to do certain things for me so that I can do things for Him, and those things include making me able enough to do what He needs me to do. In other words, I ask Him to strengthen me for the spiritual battle ahead, to give me courage that is no where near natural for me to go against the enemy when my natural inclination is to run, and I ask that He give me wisdom to say the right thing at the right time.

When those things don't happen at the right time or the right place, I continually chalk it up to the humanity in me meets the task at hand. I fail not because He isn't capable but because I am not. When I fail, I fail not because of Him or His gifts. No, I fail because I simply am not capable of performing that task.

And yet...

It seems to me that most of the time I fail because when the prayers began flying around like bullets that were not really used properly, I never asked big enough, prayed tall enough, jumped far enough, climbed high enough or asked for the huge leap in faith. Never. Did. I.

Not Him.

He was always perfectly willing to meet the impossible in and around me. But I never ask for the impossible. I ask for the small, the things I believe I can do, and the abilities that require little fair in the first place.

Really. I do.

But this day, late in the afternoon though it might be, I'm asking that God make me able to do the ridiculously incredible this day. I'm asking God to make me strong enough, fast enough, able to leap far enough and high enough that anyone listening to me later the day will know those thought could only have come from on high. I'm asking God to give me God-power so that the glory will come back on Him. I'm begging that God send someone to the youth-Club 316 tonight that needs to hear about the last week of Jesus' life. I'm telling God that His ideas for tonight's devotional are too small. I want all He has to give so that I can give all he has to 22, no, heck, 32 kids tonight. And I'm commanding God to let me be the vehicle through which the Gospel will ride tonight.

Really. I am.

Tonight, O Father, creator of us all, lover beyond our dreams, healer beyond our imagination, keeper of our hearts, designer of our souls, let us love the way you love, beyond ourselves, inside of you. Tonight is a night you have made. Let us so called adults rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments: